Monday, June 29, 2009

The state of the music game...

so...props to Lady Blogga on her recent blog about the BET awards...I haven't really given too much thought to the state of music overall, because my natural reaction to the lack of quality music out there today is to retreat into the solace of the tunes of yesteryear. But, LB's (yes, lol, LB) candid description of the award show led me to another thought! Right now, YES, we have GREAT musicians out there that do it for the love, and they actually have talent that is worth promoting, and we know some of them, Eric Roberson, Dwele, Jason Mraz, of course, India Aire, John Legend, Jill, on the rap side we got Lil Brother, Jay Z, Mos, the Roots, and all them good folks...but who's gettin the shine? Who has captured the hearts and wallets of the current generation, who ultimately decides in which direction our music is going? These cracker jack acts, that's who. And no, it's not all about the shine, the recognition, but how long before these real artists are totally phased out? Or one by one just get tired and overwhelmed with the influx of crappy singers, played out hooks and songs where the only half good thing is the beat? What do we do then? I realized today that as a singer, and yes, I'm a singer, I've been singing more years now than I haven't, and I can actually sing, I ain't Keyshia Cole-in it...but as a singer, and knowing the musicians and singers that I know, and having the love of music so deeply ingrained, I just realized that I haven't been hard enough on the music industry, on music period. I mean, they are mass-producing singers and rappers and right now, all you gotta be is mildly attractive to be a singer, no vocals, no nothing, and I don't think it's fair or right. Truth is, Ciara can't sing. No, she can't for real, but I guess that depends on your definition of singing. She has a couple songs where she does a little more than the average run or whatever, but overall...this chick is a dancer, and a ridiculously provocative one at that. Truth is, it's ALL about sex appeal, and that's a whole other blog in itself, but Keyshia sucks...SUCKS, her story is nice, her voice is crap. This chick had the NERVE to feature Monica on a track, who had to downplay her vocal ability to make Keyshia sound half normal...is that what we have to look forward to? Can you imagine when high schoolers get old, and they say, "Aw yeah, man, dat dere Goodies joint from back in the day? Yeah, THAT was real music." GTFOH.
Now rap? *sigh* I love bass like the next person, and a good beat is always what's up, but it seems like that's all the criteria for you to be a rapper right now. And not only that, but Jay is right, why are all the rappers singing? I have been guilty of letting the beat, that instinctively makes me want to shake my behind get to me, but no more...or at least less more, lmao. But these songs are terrible at best, and who right now has staying power? Huh? No one, that's who. Blog ya lata...

eh...felt like I'd post music from someone great

No comments:

Post a Comment