Sunday, July 19, 2009

We are a family...

Nothing to me is more special than a family. I had the opportunity to spend time with my sig fig and his family, and I watched, participated and reflected. I love to observe his family, because a lot of things in my family are different than his, and I think it's beautiful! His family is not without it's quirks, but it is a functional, very close knit-unit. I watched as they laughed, took pictures, joked on both his mom and dad's sides, and it was nice to be around, you can tell they love and respect one another. On my side of the fence, it's not quite so pretty, and I began to wonder how much of that responsibility lies with me. Admittedly I don't put forth much effort with much of my family, but I can say that it's just so exhausting. I feel like much of everything is left up to me! I have to call, I have to stop by, I have to check on everyone else, and that's tiring! I have 7 siblings, two grandmothers, one with 14 brothers and sisters, 3 aunts, one uncle and 20+ first cousins on my mother's side...that's a lot of keeping up! None call and check on me, and a lot of the excuse is not having a way to contact me...well there are only so many times I'm going to give you my number...

Blessedly, I got a brief reprieve from that this weekend, they may not see each other all that often, but when they do it's all love, and it's beautiful...I may have to put in overtime to try to mend and rebuild some of the broken relationships in my own family but if the end result is what I encountered this weekend then I guess I welcome the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment